Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Valentine's day


These days there is a lot of hoopla that surrounds Valentine's Day. I keep hearing people's discontent about commercialization of this day especially by our Archies and Hallmark, the absolute need to buy cards. Last week i saw a statistics on how much a man spends on his girlfriend(I'm also nothing better...spent much for her now regretting for that) and how much less a husband spends on his wife.
I must be a romantic at heart because I love Valentine's Day. I don't love it because of the "extravaganza" of our guys(i was in dat category)for buyng gifts to their sweethearts, although they are nice. I like Valentine's Day for its purity and what mean by that day. The idea of an international day to celebrate people's love for family, friends and significant others. Its almost like Christmas,Eid or Onam but without all the religious divisions to mess things up.
I agree it can become too much when people take elaborate initiatives to show their significant other how they feel about them and have a need to top it from year to year. What's more socially jaded is when they feel they need to spend exuberant amounts of money.
In my opinion this is a day to spend time together, call family and friends(most of guys cal their sweethearts at any cost, even if they dint cal their parents). I think human contact can be more enriching than elaborate gift.

Going back to commercialization of Valentine's Day I refuse to buy cards and I send my family and friends .
To contradict myself now, I will say that m inspiring my friends to buy something to their beloveds,yesterday i suggested some valentine's day brand new perfumes to sanoj's g.f(he said me he wants to do something different other than cards and chocolates).All of friends(Especially Guys)be cost conscious when you spend money for these occasions.

Happy Valentine's Day to Everyone!!

5 comments:

nanditha sagar said...

hey if i were u i would have celebrated it perfect10.but i am in reality world so no jokes pls.when u r responsible and u have lots of responsibilities to take on each day become important .u tend 2 give importance to each day ,each hour each min,each sec counts.so ultimately each day becomes special. sweetness remains in any relationship if their is hard work and truth.hope i am somewhere .

calmrythm said...

Yes Mam u r ryt...do you think i will 4get u???nevr...i am respecing u much..n u will b treated like that only...u know at first i considerd u as my enemy(i thnk u remember the first days.n how many tiimes u kick me off from class room.)but after months my attitude 2wrds u has changed..we all bcom very close 2 u ryt..

Unknown said...

happy Birthday maaan...selvin is here also..he is also wishing u a happy birthday yaaar...happy valentin's day alo....

Unknown said...

celebrate your valentine with holding a yellow rose and try to find another...

calmrythm said...

no da one xperience z enough..a person has to learn from xperiences..ryt?